This is SpaceX’s crewed Dragon2 Capsule in LEGO and is a companion model to the Falcon 9 first stage rocket. The Crew Dragon will be a human-rated vehicle that is capable of making a soft terrestrial landing. This model features:
- 4 SuperDraco powered ‘jet packs’.
- Ejectable nose cone.
- The unpressurized cargo ‘trunk’.
- Stabalising fins.
- The second stage and merlin vacuum engine.
- Approx 1:124 scale (~19cm tall).
|Quantity||Color||Description||Bricklink||LEGO Element ID*|
|4||Dark Stone Grey||Plate 2x2 Round||4032||4211042|
|1||Brick Yellow||Slide Shoe 2x2||2654||4278422|
|3||Medium Stone Grey||Plate 4x4 Round W. Snap||60474||4515351|
|2||White||Brick 4x4 Rround W. Ø4.9 W. KL.||87081||4558956|
|5||White||Plate 4x4 Round W. Snap||60474||4515347|
|8||Medium Stone Grey||Connector Peg W. Knob||4274||4211483|
|8||White||Angular Plate 1.5 Bot. 1x2 1/2||99780||6070698|
|4||White||Flat Tile 1x4||2431||243101|
|2||Black||Plate 2x2 Round||4032||403226|
|4||White||Plate W.Bow 1x2x2/3||11477||6034044|
|4||White||Plate 1x2 W. Shaft Ø3.2||60478||4515364|
|4||Black||Plate 1x1 W. Up holder vertical||61252||4517925|
|4||Tr. Bright Orange||Plate 1x1||3024||4542673|
|8||Black||Plate 1x1 W. Up right holder||2555||6066102|
|4||White||Flat tile 1x1||3070b||307001|
|1||Black||Plate 4x4 Round W. Snap||60474||4515350|
|1||Dark Stone Grey||Cone 2x2x2||3942c||n/a|
|2||White||Wall Element, Round 5x4x2||85941||n/a|
|2||White||Technic Brick 4x4 Round||6222||n/a|
|1||White||Final Brick 2x2||553b||n/a|
How to purchase parts:
Parts with a ‘LEGO Element ID’ listed above can be purchased directly from LEGO:
- Click ‘Bricks’
- Select ‘Pick a Brick’
- Search by ‘Element ID’ in the Advanced search box.
The parts with ‘n/a’ as the Element ID can be purchased from collectors. Bricklink is ebay for LEGO pieces, collectors have stores that sell used LEGO parts. The trick is to try and get as many of the parts from as few stores as possible (to save on shipping costs).
Using a decent ink jet printer, these decals can be printed on Avery 53203 decal paper. Multiples of each fit on a single sheet, allowance for any mistakes. These decals were assembled from photos, logos and the AXM paper models. You will need to trim the decals to size. The capsule decals are easier to fit if they are first cut into sections.
How to support this project:
- Donate a few bucks.
- Hit me up in the comments below with model ideas and improvements.
- If you build one, send a picture!
- 2017-06-06-SpaceX-dragon2.lxf - The Lego Digtal Designer file to help with making your own customisations.
- Original construction techniques inspired by the LEGO set Space Port 60080.
- An anonymous SpaceX employee for suggestions on landing leg and Vacuum Merlin engine improvements.
- teamfatkid for assembling the decal sheet.
- 2019/02/27 - Removed link to the defunct LEGO ideas project
- 2017/07/28 - Added details for printing decals.
You can join the conversation on Twitter or Instagram
Become a Patreon to get early and behind-the-scenes access along with email notifications for each new post.
Hi! Subconsciously you already know this, but let's make it obvious. Hopefully this article was helpful. You might also find yourself following a link to Amazon to learn more about parts or equipment. If you end up placing an order, I make a couple of dollarydoos. We aren't talking a rapper lifestyle of supercars and yachts, but it does help pay for the stuff you see here. So to everyone that supports this place - thank you.