This is SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket in LEGO. The model featured above is based on the first rocket that SpaceX successfully landed (Flight 20, Orbcomm OG2 M2), it has:
- Deployable hypersonic grid fins.
- Deployable landing legs.
- Nine Merlin engines in an ‘octaweb’ alignment.
- Approx 1:124 scale (~40cm tall)
- SpaceX livery in custom decals.
|Quantity||Color||Description||Bricklink||LEGO Element ID*|
|2||Black||Plate 4x4 Round W. Snap||60474||4515350|
|4||Black||Plate 1x2 W. Stub/Vertical||44567||4185620|
|5||Medium Stone Grey||Plate 4x4 Round W. Snap||60474||4515351|
|6||White||Brick 4x4 Rround W. Ø4.9 W. KL.||87081||4558956|
|4||Medium Stone Grey||Connector Peg W. Knob||4274||4211483|
|5||Reddish Brown||Profile Brick Ø15.83 W. Cross||92947||6036503|
|4||White||Plate 1x2 W. Stick||2540||4140583|
|4||White||Flag W. Two Holders||2335||6011794|
|4||Medium Stone Grey||Flat Tile 1x2||3069b||4211414|
|4||Black||Plate 1x1 W. Up right holder||2555||6066102|
|8||Black||Plate 1x2 W. Shaft Ø3.2||60478||4515368|
|4||Black||Flat Tile 1x6||6636||663626|
|4||Black||Plate 1x1 W. Up holder vertical||61252||4517925|
|9||Dark Stone Grey||Nose Cone Small 1x1||4589||4529240|
|1||White||Technic Brick 4x4 Round||6222||n/a|
|1||Black||Cross Axle 32M||50450||n/a|
|12||White||Wall Element, Round 5x4x2||85941||n/a|
|4||White||Flap 2x8 Friction/Fork||30407||n/a|
How to purchase parts:
Complete kits can be purchased from the RepRage convenience store.
Alternatively you could source components individually. Parts with a ‘LEGO Element ID’ listed above can be purchased directly from LEGO:
- Click ‘Bricks’
- Select ‘Pick a Brick’
- Search by ‘Element ID’ in the Advanced search box.
The parts with ‘n/a’ as the Element ID can be purchased from collectors. Bricklink is ebay for LEGO pieces, collectors have stores that sell used LEGO parts. The trick is to try and get as many of the parts from as few stores as possible (to save on shipping costs).
Drone Ship Model:
Using a decent ink jet printer, these decals can be printed on Avery 53203 decal paper. Multiples of each fit on a single sheet, allowance for any mistakes. These decals were assembled from photos, logos and the AXM paper models. You will need to trim the decals to size. The capsule decals are easier to fit if they are first cut into sections.
How to support this project:
- Donate a few bucks so that I can build more of this stuff.
- Hit me up in the comments below with model ideas and improvements.
- If you build one, send a picture!
- 2017-06-06-SpaceX-Falcon9.lxf - The Lego Digtal Designer file to help with making your own customisations.
- 2016-06-20-Falcon9.bsx - A brickstock file to help with ordering from BrickLink.
- Original construction techniques inspired by the LEGO set Space Port 60080.
- An anonymous SpaceX employee for suggestions on landing leg and Vacuum Merlin engine improvements.
- Bryan T for the Brickstock file.
- teamfatkid for assembling the decal sheet.
- 2019/02/27 - Removed link to the defunct LEGO ideas project
- 2019/02/21 - Added link for purchasing complete parts kits.
- 2017/07/28 - Added details for printing decals.
- 2017/06/03 - Split payloads off into seperate files.
- 2016/05/31 - Added material lists for all stage2 variants. Updated stage1 landing legs.
- 2016/06/09 - Added brickstock file to make ordering parts easier.
- 2016/06/20 - Strengthened first stage core. Firmer merlin engine attachments. Dragon2 fin improvements.
- 2016/08/09 - Added LXF (lego digital designer) file download link.
Hi! Subconsciously you already know this, but let's make it obvious. Hopefully this article was helpful. You might also find yourself following a link to Amazon to learn more about parts or equipment. If you end up placing an order, I make a couple of dollarydoos. We aren't talking a rapper lifestyle of supercars and yachts, but it does help pay for the stuff you see here. So to everyone that enables this place. Thank you.