This is SpaceX’s Orbcomm2 payload in LEGO and is a companion model to the Falcon 9 first stage rocket. This payload was launched into low Earth orbit and features:
- 11 second-generation OG2 satellites.
- Mass simulator for balancing the payload.
- The second stage and merlin vacuum engine.
- Approx 1:124 scale (~21cm tall).
|Quantity||Color||Description||Bricklink||LEGO Element ID*|
|7||Dark Stone Grey||Plate 2x2 Round||4032||4211042|
|1||Brick Yellow||Slide Shoe 2x2||2654||4278422|
|3||Medium Stone Grey||Plate 4x4 Round W. Snap||60474||4515351|
|1||White||Brick 4x4 Rround W. Ø4.9 W. KL.||87081||4558956|
|12||Medium Stone Grey||Brick 1x1 W. 1 KNOB||87087||4558953|
|11||Bright Orange||Brick 1x1||3005||4173805|
|12||White||Flat tile 1x1||3070b||307001|
|1||Medium Stone Grey||Brick 1x1||3005||4211389|
|1||Dark Stone Grey||Cone 2x2x2||3942c||n/a|
|2||White||Wall Element, Round 5x4x2||85941||n/a|
|2||Dark Stone Grey||Brick Ø16 W. Cross||3941||n/a|
|1||Dark Stone Grey||Flat Tile 2x2 Round||4150||n/a|
|2||White||Wall Element, Round 3x6x10||92591||n/a|
How to purchase parts:
Complete kits can be purchased from the RepRage convenience store.
Alternatively you could source components individually. Parts with a ‘LEGO Element ID’ listed above can be purchased directly from LEGO:
- Click ‘Bricks’
- Select ‘Pick a Brick’
- Search by ‘Element ID’ in the Advanced search box.
The parts with ‘n/a’ as the Element ID can be purchased from collectors. Bricklink is ebay for LEGO pieces, collectors have stores that sell used LEGO parts. The trick is to try and get as many of the parts from as few stores as possible (to save on shipping costs).
Using a decent ink jet printer, these decals can be printed on Avery 53203 decal paper. Multiples of each fit on a single sheet, allowance for any mistakes. These decals were assembled from photos, logos and the AXM paper models. You will need to trim the decals to size. The capsule decals are easier to fit if they are first cut into sections.
How to support this project:
- Donate a few bucks.
- Hit me up in the comments below with model ideas and improvements.
- If you build one, send a picture!
- 2017-06-03-SpaceX-orbcomm2.lxf - The Lego Digtal Designer file to help with making your own customisations.
- Original construction techniques inspired by the LEGO set Space Port 60080.
- An anonymous SpaceX employee for suggestions on landing leg and Vacuum Merlin engine improvements.
- teamfatkid for assembling the decal sheet.
- 2019/02/27 - Removed link to the defunct LEGO ideas project
- 2019/02/21 - Added link for purchasing complete parts kits.
- 2017/07/28 - Added details for printing decals.
Become a Patreon to get early and behind-the-scenes access along with email notifications for each new post.
Hi! Subconsciously you already know this, but let's make it obvious. Hopefully this article was helpful. You might also find yourself following a link to Amazon to learn more about parts or equipment. If you end up placing an order, I make a couple of dollarydoos. We aren't talking a rapper lifestyle of supercars and yachts, but it does help pay for the stuff you see here. So to everyone that supports this place - thank you.