DanceDanceSense is an economical sensor that can be worn to track movement. Accelerometer readings are sent as OSC messages via WiFi. The sensor is fitted with a small infrared LED that can be tracked with external cameras.
Bill of Materials:
- 1 x NodeMCU ESP8266 amzn
- 1 x ADXL345 Accelerometer amzn
- 1 x 60mm * 80mm Protoboard amzn
- 1 x 3.7V LiPo Battery & charger amzn
- 1 x 1.4V Infrared LED amzn
- 2 x 4.7kΩ Resistors amzn
- 2 x 10Ω Resistors amzn
- Cut the protoboard down 80mm x 28mm.
- Solder the header pins for the accelerometer at one end of the board.
- Fit the NodeMCU at the other and connect the 3v3 and GND to the accelerometer
- Solder 10Ω resistors and LED into place.
- Solder SDA and SCL to D2 and D1.
- Solder 4.7kΩ pullup resistors for SDA and SCL lines.
- Make a battery connector out of 2 header pins and hookup wires.
- Follow the source code link below to configure the onboard software.
DanceDanceSense powered performances:
- ‘CloudSound’, 2017-08-25 at KickArts Contemporary Arts, Cairns.
Development commissioned by Bonemap.
Copyright (c) Clinton Freeman 2017
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the “Software”), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED “AS IS”, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
You can join the conversation on Twitter or Instagram
Become a Patreon to get early and behind-the-scenes access along with email notifications for each new post.
Hi! Subconsciously you already know this, but let's make it obvious. Hopefully this article was helpful. You might also find yourself following a link to Amazon to learn more about parts or equipment. If you end up placing an order, I make a couple of dollarydoos. We aren't talking a rapper lifestyle of supercars and yachts, but it does help pay for the stuff you see here. So to everyone that supports this place - thank you.