Spectate was an experimental form of theatre that blended visuals and live performance whilst centering the audience as co-creator. The narrative of the show was set in Michigan and followed Houdini’s final performance in 1926. I wrote ‘switchboard’ software that enabled operators to have SMS conversations with about 100 participants. I used the Twilio API for interactive with the short message service.
Spectate was presented at Metro Arts in Brisbane from the 7th to the 18th of November 2017.
- Writer & Director: Nathan Sibthorpe
- Sound designer: Mike Willmett
- Production Designer: Sarah Winter
- Lighting Designer: Christine Felmingham
- Contraption Designer: John Felmingham
- Film Producers: Optikal Bloc
- Dramaturg: Benjamin Knapton
- Additional Contributions: Sandra Carluccio
- Live Cast: Toby Martin, Cam Clark, Elise Greig & Brad Haseman
- Voice actors: Hugh Parker, Anna McGahan, Lucas Stibbard, Veronica Neave & Lauren Jackson.
Hi! Subconsciously you already know this, but let's make it obvious. Hopefully this article was helpful. You might also find yourself following a link to Amazon, Lego or eBay to learn more about parts or equipment. If you end up placing an order, I make a couple of dollarydoos. We aren't talking a rapper lifestyle of supercars and yachts, but it does help pay for the stuff you see here. So a massive shoutout to everyone that enables this place. Thanks!