The American sculptor, Tom Sachs runs his studio just like a space program. He’s conducted his own exploration missions of the Moon, Mars and Europa. Built a full-size Luna Exploration Module out of plywood and a 3-metre-tall space shuttle from foamcore. Tom doesn’t see his practice as NASA stagecraft, but rather an extension of NASA itself. He uses a NASA letterhead emblazed with ‘Sachs Research Laboratory’ and issues each staff member with NASA identification.
The identification passes issued by the Tom Sachs studio contain the following elements:
- A passport style photo
- The name of the bearer
- A serial number
- The date of issue
- A collection of ‘patches’, including standard ones from his industrial films like ten bullets and color, plus an optional set based on major exhibitions. For example, if you worked on Nutsy’s, a line drawing of Unité was added to your identification.
When Tom is not referring to the ‘other’ NASA, he often talks about his studio being a teaching hospital for the arts. For several years now I have been a remote student of this school. Chipping away at my own projects and learning what I can about the wider art world over the Internet.
Inspired by keygens, the software used to generate licensing keys for pirated products, I made my own Tom Sachs FakeID generator. It has the following security features:
- A passport style photo taken from your webcam.
- A field to enter your name.
- A unique serial number that is fully compatible with the Studio’s numbering system.
- The date of issue.
- The In-Situ Resource Utilization patch that Tom Sachs sent to those who participated in the workshop on geodesic dome construction.
- A Sachs Family Crest rule for you to live by.
- It carries the insignia intern, because I’m still working for the studio at the unpaid intern threshold. One day I’ll get to spend time working in the actual studio. Until then I will continue my work as an intern. I can do this from home in Australia.
You can generate your own Tom Sachs FakeID here. It won’t get you free entry to a show, But you can totally use it to buy booze from the JPL cafeteria.
Hi! Subconsciously you already know this, but let's make it obvious. Hopefully this article was helpful. You might also find yourself following a link to Amazon, Lego or eBay to learn more about parts or equipment. If you end up placing an order, I make a couple of dollarydoos. We aren't talking a rapper lifestyle of supercars and yachts, but it does help pay for the stuff you see here. So a massive shoutout to everyone that enables this place. Thanks!